Pages

Monday, July 02, 2007

Arrived in Philly; Next leg to Abingdon, MD

Today's ride was nice for the most part. A beautiful day for it. Don't know how many miles I've done yet, but I started relatively early this morning after camping out behind a shopping plaza on Route 22. Route 22 was one of the bigger roads on my route, and for the most part was good because of a nice shoulder. But near the point where it went under interstate 287 and then when it intersected state highway 202, it got kinda hairy. I had to find a back route around the 22/202 intersection, cross over 22 down the road and meet up with 202 at a later point. At that point 202 was freshly paved and had a nice shoulder. 202 continued to be nice all the way to Pennsylvania. The 202 bridge into PA says no bikes, but traffic was thin and I passed with no problem. The man at the toll booth said, "You're not supposed to ride out there," but as I'd already crossed, it was a moot point. In PA, 202 became a 2-lane road with hardly a shoulder. It was manageable, though. Just north of where 202 merges with 263, I found a treasure of a treat: the Philly Pretzel Factory that sells three big, hot soft pretzels for a dollar! It's the best deal around, and a great snack for cyclists. I had spicy mustard and horseradish with it, and the pretzels are delicious.

The rest of the ride to Philly was pretty straight forward, except that my chain broke and I fixed it with some spare links I was carrying. It's been a fairly warm and sweaty day. I drank lots of water, rested a few times and had trail mix made by sweetheart Laina. Some kid at the Pizza joint I stopped at came in with a skinned knee from biking, and I gave him some neosporin and a bandaid.

In Philly, I came to the Crown Plaza Hotel, where I came last time, and my friends here put my bike in the storage while I snack and update my blog. Pics from the ride coming. Next I will ride to Abingdon, MD to meet up with Brazilian Tina who would like to go on a little bike ride around Bel Air with me and host me a night. Her husband is a serious biker, but she is just getting into it. She found my website when she was searching online for a riding group in Abingdon. Route to her house: click here

Working out my sleeping situation for tonight... Until next time, PJ

No comments: