Pages

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Update

So I am in Tlacotalpan now and the festivities have basically come to an end. They released two more bulls in the streets today, and then two vaquitas (two cows, with horns). We had more fun running around with the bulls and the cows in the streets, pulling them, dodging them, mounting them, caring for them when they get tired or thirsty, lassoing them, directing them, etc. Was quite fun.

So at this point in my journey, I have a few things to consider in deciding where to go, how to move forward. At the beginning of the journey, I was hoping to make it to Recife, Brazil, ambitious as it was, by carnaval (word derives from ¨carne¨-¨valle¨, or farewell to meat, since during lent, consumption of meat is forbidden in the Catholic tradition.) Well, as it is, after 3800 miles and almost five months, trying to hook up with Canadians to join my trip, enjoying different places as I go, going solo and trying to work out logistics on a first long-distance bicycle journey--I am near Veracruz as carnaval starts. But, turns out, word has it that Veracruz has the best carnaval north of Rio, AND I have friends at a four-star hotel who will put me up and dine me and provide friends and company for the carnaval, AND the hotel is right at the main stage of the carnaval--seems like a no-brainer, or the best thing without burning fossil fuels or spending money on a flight to Rio.

By the way, the reason for going to Brazil in the first place was not to go to carnival, though I did want to make it in time as I have never been to one. I want to bike to brazil to live and work there--I want to commute there, and see Mexico and Central America. I have been there twice (to Brazil, never to Mexico or Central America before this trip), I have good friends there I stay in touch with, and I speak portuguese, play soccer, enjoy brazilian people and culture, warm weather and beaches. I intended to work teaching english, work at hotels in Natal, and go back to school in urban planning and transportation engineering there in Natal or Recife. I intended to live in Brazil--and of course still may.

Things on my plate now include the following: my sister´s wedding is at the end of May (many of you reading will probably be there, and perhaps some of you will bike there), my brother Tommy will graduate from U Mary Washington, and my brother Timmy will graduate from Harbour High School in Anapolis. I will not be able to make it to Brazil on bike by the time these come to pass, so I am having to decide if I will bike back now, after the Carnival, (by a different route to see other things) which would probably give me enough time to make it back in time purely on bike...or continue forward and...fly back for the wedding round trip from whereever I am...or ?just keep going till I make it???

The option of returning by bike for the wedding would not eliminate biking to brazil. On the contrary, I have a plan to come back with more experience, of course, more people, more organization, with a different approach: raise one dollar per mile biked, and the money would go to purchasing carbon credits which in effect stimulate the creation of new wind farms and solar power plants, and projects on hog and cattle ranches that collect the manure, trap the methane released and burn it to create electricity--all which keep heat-trapping gases out of our atmosphere.

It is about ten thousand miles by bike to brazil, so the ten thousand dollars (or more, since more riders will be going) could be presented in a singular event covered by the media, sort of encapsulating the trip. This trip would take place in the next two or three years. Sponsors, media attention, riders, fundraising, etc. could build from this trip and up through the next trip. So that´s kind of my big exciting idea. Could be the next trip, or the idea could start right from where I am now, whether I go forward or backward, southward or northward.

As for pictures right now, my camera is not functioning well--the monitor no longer works--so I cannot take any pictures right now. Sorry--I know, you wanted to see the bulls in the streets. Well, I can put some pics from the web up to give you an idea. As for the rest of the trip, wherever I go, I met a guy on the road who works for a tech company that makes digital cameras (Steren). Perhaps they can sponsor me with a cam--and perhaps one that mounts on the head like a headlamp.

Well, that is kind of where I am at now. A return trip could include Xalapa, Mexico City, Queretaro, Monterrey, Matamoros, Houston, maybe St. Louis and DC. If I go for the bike to brazil trip after the wedding, perhaps you know someone interested in doing something about global warming who wants to raise money for alternative energy, see more of America (North, Central, South), and have an adventure, let em know, and have em contact me at pauljosephpark@gmail.com. There you are welcome also to send me comments and feedback on trip, blog, global warming, etc. Hasta pronto.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Hi PJ

Lots to think about , reflect on and put together . You have made alot of progress and learned alot and now decisions to make and pieces to put together . I will be pondering your thoughts and ideas and let you know some of my thoughts.

Peace

Mom

MJ said...

Hi PJ

Happy Valentines Day
Love you and sending my love and hope you are having a loving day .

Enjoy the beauty of the day

love

MOM