Pages

Friday, June 15, 2007

Baltimore to Bel Air

My Realized Route today.
Ingo's house in Bel Air, met through Warm Showers. Ingo and his wife biked from Fort Meyers, Florida to Bel Air, MD in 2000 on a recumbent tandem with a one-wheeled trailer (BOB yak). They have been wonderful hosts--thank you so much!
The road I chose to take out of Baltimore, Pulaski Highway, turned out to have a bike lane! The shoulder was clearly marked. I thank the advocates that established this signage and markings. I recommend Pulaski Highway to all cyclists for its wide, bike lane/bike route-marked shoulders, gentle hills, and straightness.



Heading out of Baltimore, I snapped a shot of this guy's house with a great Baltimore-themed mural painted on the side. Thanks, guy, and nice mural!
Maryland blue-crab is a ubiquitous icon around Baltimore.

Today's journey was good. Thirty-three miles. If I were driving a car that got 22 mpg, I would have used a gallon and a half of gasoline today. That would have cost me $4.50, and I would have emitted 30 lbs of CO2. It costs about 50 cents per mile to drive a car if you include gas, insurance, etc. So that would be about $16.50 I saved. And then to offset the CO2, it costs $4/ton of CO2 offset. I would have emitted 0.015 tons, so that would be like 6 cents to offset that amount of CO2. Which gets me thinking, it would cost about 4 cents to offset the CO2 emissions from burning a gallon of gas.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oi...espero que voce esteja indo bem nessa sua jornada,apesar de ter te enterrompido um pouquinho qundo estava andando de bike e meu fiz meu esposo parar o carro para te perguntar se voce era Brasileiro lembra...rsrsrsr...voce estavamos em Maryland,fiquei tao feliz por te encontrar e ver a sua determinação e coragem.Ao fim tenho que me apresentar para voce meu nome e Andrea e do meu esposo Pietro desejo que voce tenha uma viajem segura e que desfrute cada cantinho dos paises que ira passar...beijo grande.Deixarei meu email para podermos nos corresponder...andreandnazylov@aol.com.........BOA VIAJEM

Unknown said...

Translation of the above comment in Portuguese:
Hi...I hope all goes well on your journey, despite being interrupted a little when you were biking and I made my husband stop the car to ask you if you were Brazilian, remember..hahaha...we were in Maryland, I was so happy to meet you and see your determination and courage. Finally, I have to introduce myself to you, my name is Andrea and my husband is Pietro. I hope that you have a safe trip and that you enjoy every little corner of the countries that you will pass through...big kiss. I leave you my email so we can correspond...HAVE A GOOD TRIP

alexis said...

Small world!
I was searching for something online and your picture came up of a mural with a guy going into his house. He's my neighbor! His name is Todd Conway, and he has done a number of murals in Baltimore, including a second one across the street from his house. Great stuff.
toddconwayarts.com