Pages

Thursday, November 09, 2006


University of Southern Louisiana at Lafayette, where I am now. I cycled 84 miles yesterday from Baton Rouge to here--my second longest distance in a day.

Cycles of Uprising ready to bicycle back to New Orleans from Baton Rouge!


Cycles of Uprising circus/singing cycling group that biked from St. Louis to New Orleans to Baton Rouge performing all along the way. I rode from New Orleans to Baton Rouge with them, and we camped out twice along the way.

A loaded bike with extracycle. See www.xtracycle.com.

Cycles of Uprising riding along River Road towards Baton Rouge.

Cycles of Uprising riding out of New Orleans with me.

Description of Plan B Bicycle Project, one of the Bicycle Coops in New Orleans.

A new house on stilts, now extra-high.

Where some homes used to be, Southeastern Louisiana.

Appliance still in the tree over a year after the storm.

Where some homes used to be, Southeastern Louisiana.

Entering Louisiana.

Wetland in Southwestern MS.

Sunset on the Gulf Coast, MS.

I finally hit the coast here on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi. Near the coast, which has been cleaned up dramatically since the storm, lay slab after concrete slab of where homes used to be. Some of the larger homes, and the historical estates are being rebuilt. Further along the coast, the bridge was out at Pass Christian, but the next morning, a vehicle ferry began operating. I camped out on the beach and took the inaugural ferry ride at 6:30am, and I was intervied by the local radio station!

5 comments:

maggieme said...

It was so nice to meet you. You are a wonderful young man, doing a difficult but wonderful thing to open awareness of an important issue. Stay in touch. I have relatives in Mexico City and Southern Mexico. Perhaps they can help if you are going their way.

Cheers, Henrietta, Pat O'Brien's, New Orleans

Unknown said...

That would be wonderful, Henrietta! It was wonderful to meet you as well. I would love to stop in and visit with some of your relatives in southern mexico!

Unknown said...

good morning pj-

i am bummed that it took me so long to check out your "bike to brazil blog".

now that i know it is up i will stay current.

i love the photos - each one sure does speak a 1,000 words.

you already have inspired me. as soon as i sign off i am jumping on my bike for a ride to the golden gate bridge and back.

also, as the weather changes we will turn down the heat, wear more layers and never purchase another vehicle that delivers less than an average of 30 mpg.

te amo.

uncle michael

Unknown said...

comment from wade, kelly's husband and an avid mountain biker:

Wow! That is impressive. What an incredible adventure. Good for him. GO PJ!
All of a sudden I feel really lazy.

-w

Unknown said...

Hey Michael and Wade,

Great to hear from you and thank you for your support. Biking is such fun. I recommend a booklet called Bicycling Street Smarts by John S. Allen--changed the way I ride and boosted my confidence level tons.

Love,
PJ