Pages

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Update


So, yesterday I talked with a couple of the Canadians, with whom I planned to travel South with. It isn't clear exactly when they will depart Austin. One may break off on her own, head south, and meet her significant other from Argentina on the way, and they may bike together. The others may stick around a couple more weeks. I will probably depart on my own towards Brownsville in a few days. I will stay in touch with the Canadians and see what makes sense. Their route does appear to coincide with mine along the east coast/Gulf coast of Mexico. It is the shortest, the flatest, and the most humid (much of Mexico is desert and/or mountain).

We may hit cities such as Victoria and Vera Cruz, places I believe I both have contacts in, though the more the better, so keep sending them my way, please.

So I hope to hit the border in about ten days.

Internet: I hope to have access in internet cafes and perhaps libraries, and in hotel lobbies, etc. Perhaps won't be as frequent, but will certainly be there, and perhaps my primary form of communication. As far as phone goes, I think I will pick up some calling cards and call folks from pay phones. Perhaps I will keep my phone for emergencies, but the rate will be a dollar fifty per minute.

If you would like to send money, please send to Paul Park, 4405 29th St, Mt Rainier, MD, 20712. There, my father will deposit it into my account, which I can access anywhere.

My health has been excellent--just a sore achilles tendon lately after hightailing it to make it to Austin in time for Thanksgiving. I am thankful for the Salvadoran family that fed me thanksgiving meal, for Ezra for hosting me for three days in Austin (plus feeding me and teaching me how to make tortillas--that pic is me making one), and for the Paulist Fathers here in Austin who are now hosting me and feeding me before I take off again. I am also thankful for all of you, my supporters--family, relatives, friends and those who I haven't met yet. Thank you for keeping up with my trip, taking an interest, and having a look at what effect we might be having on the earth. I truly appreciate all of you who are with me on this journey and who have helped me along the way.

As for my bike, I just had my third flat here in Austin (not bad after 2300 miles). My chain broke once, and my rear cassette/hub came loose outside of Athens. I have had some experimentation with my handlebars. Overall, my bike has been rather reliable and robust.

4 comments:

MJ said...

Hi PJ

Good to hear from you and get a plan .
It seems that you would be waiting a long time for the Canadians to move out .

I have been hearing alot on the radio about Wahaca, Mexico and the violence going on there. So I think precaution and good planning is very necessary . I hope you have gotten the contact numbers I have sent you . Hope to hear from you soon .
love
MOM

MJ said...

Dear PJ

Forgot to say :Happy Advent and month of December

peace and love

MOM

Unknown said...

pj-

please do not venture into mexico without a well thought out plan, itinerary, good detailed maps, communications capabilities and at least one traveling companion.

as i am sure you have been keeping up, the transition from vincente fox to felipe calderon today has not gone smoothly.

protests are going on throughout mexico with michoacan and oaxaca provinces having the most unrest (marti and i go often to zihuatanejo in oaxaca).

i am not going to tell you what to do but simply let you know that as adventuresome as i have been in my travels all of my life, there is just too much uncertainty in mexico at this time. i would not go it alone.

safe travels.

michael

Unknown said...

hi michael,

I think my travels will take me to the north and east of oaxaca and michoacan states. i am working more extensively on mapping and interary.

thanks for keeping up.

love,
PJ