Pages

Thursday, December 28, 2006

San Fernando to Jimenez

I biked fifty miles today to Jimenez, half-way to the destination of Victoria. It was a fairly windy day, the first part the wind was against me. Towards the end of the day, the wind switched and pushed me along. I was cruising even uphill for a while. My average speed on the day, due to the wind, was 10.2mph. Odometer reads 2960. I will break 3000 tomorrow! And will meet up with the Canadians, and set up New Years plans. And I found a place to stay by running into a family that was coming back from Victoria where they had spent Christmas with the grandparents. So the grandparents will put me up, hopefully. Max speed today was 26.5mph--coming down a hill after a long, steady climb. It is starting to get a little mountainous--and beautiful! I biked for just over five hours today. Enjoy the pictures!

The peeps I stayed with in San Fernando (the Rodriguezes)--top quality folks.

Couple I met at a restaurant on the way to Jimenez, Tamaulipas. I am staying at their daughter and son-in-law's house, and plan to sleep in a hammock tonight under the moon.

Folks I met in San Fernando--they helped me find the Rodriguez' house.

Streetside grocery stand on Iturbide Street in San Fernando.


My lunch today.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Hi PJ

We got your great phone message and that you were sleeping in a hammock between two trees. And now the new entry and the news of all the biking you are doing and the family you are staying with and the food you are eating . Great pictures . Wow it looks so inviting and full of color and culture. Abanda and Yacob were over today and did some work and playing on the game table - it was great to see them . So wondering how you plan to celebrate New Year's . We went to Pat and Joanne's New Year's party tonight and people were asking for updates on your bike trip .

Keep us informed and looking foreward to the next entry .

peace and love . \
MOM

Anonymous said...

I know the couple in the second picture.... carlos and... dont recall her name... their sons are good friends of mine... im from jimenez... living in chicago now... wow... riding a bike in the "rebajes" and the dangerous tamaulipas roads... thanks for the pictures.... is good to see how the good people of jimenez still on bussiness... take care..

Heriberto Lazcano z3