Pages

Saturday, September 23, 2006

The adventure continues...

So, leaving Richmond, I stopped at a bicycle shop to look into the possibility of adding aerobars to the handlebars, so I could lean further forward, achieving greater power, comfort and aerodynamics. More often, I was leaning on my handlebars rather than pulling towards them; the latter gives more power and less strain on the back. I solved the problem by rotating my handle bars so they arc away from me rather than toward me. This gave me the needed distance from my body to pull rather than lean.

My average speed is now up to 12.1 mph, and average distance per day is at 60 miles. These two figures are steadily increasing: Yesterday, I did 78 miles to Raleigh, the most I have ever biked in my life in one day! The day before was 67 miles to Buggs Island, VA, the day before that was 63 to Burkeville, VA.

With the new handlebar grip, I have noticed my average speed increase from about 11.9 to up to 12.2--and that is average for the whole trip, so a significant increase. So far in my trip I have biked 360 miles, perhaps 3.6% of the distance to my destination!

Today is my rest day for the week--I have biked 6 days so far, so the seventh is a rest day. My legs need it. They are noticeably thicker and stronger. These first two weeks are really training weeks--I have never biked such long distances and never with any loads. The rhythm of the trip works out nicely with the first month and a half in the US giving me time to get stronger and work out any kinks with my methods and gear before I head into Mexico, where I probably will have a harder time finding gear, and will need to have a better command of my route, and focus on local goings-on.

No comments: