Pages

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Found the Bicycle Route 1!

Today, as I headed out of Fredericksburg, I bumped into a biker who works at the bike shop in Fredericksburg, "BIKE WORKS". He said his manager bikes to Richmond and back often, and would know a good route. His printed out the directions for me, though they were from Richmond TO Fredericksburg, so all the right and left turn instructions were opposite, and the order of everything was in reverse! Needless to say, it was a challenge "following" them--but well worth it!

They also both signed the petition to pass the Climate Stewardship Act. You can, too, if you have not at www.undoit.org!

Scenic countryside back roads, horses, historic battlefields, sweet-smelling flowers and trees, low traffic and less stress! Just what I needed after two days on Route 1. I had actually found, though, the bicycle route 1, a series of back roads connecting Florida to Boston, and beyond, perhaps to Maine. It is marked intermittently, and you really need directions and preferably a map.

For tomorrow, I have just that--a map! Tonight, I am staying at the house of the parents of one of my brother's soccer teammates, Luke Hofstetter. They are wonderful, like parents away from home. They really helped me with getting maps and finding a route. Below is my route tomorrow to the Twin Lakes State Park, where I will camp out (first time this trip, I'm excited! I will get to use all the camping-specific gear I have been hauling.) Copy and paste it into your browser. Anyone know how to create an active link in a blog? Reply as a "Comment" below, please.

5 comments:

John Stith said...

Hey PJ, you're off and running!

We do have great friends with a big house for you to stay with in Montgomery, Alabama. Also I can probably suggest a basic route for you from central Georgia through Alabama -- the major old highways (like US 80) have pretty light traffic. I'll send the route when the time comes and I can see where you are.

I have a friend who could probably find you places to stay in Huntsville, Birmingham, and Mobile, Alabama. Of those, I suspect only Mobile might be on your route. Have you decided at this point whether it is?

Reply to my email or just post a comment below mine and I'll watch for it.

== John Stith
john.stith@gmail.com

MJ said...

Hey Peege,

Looks like momentum is building. In a groove and enjoying the rewards of this adventure!

How are your iced knees? There is a rhythm to building up muscle bulk. I think it is one day of pushing and two days of less strain.

We may be in Atlanta on October 13 for a Sarah birthday visit and to meet Andrew's parents. Will let you know when we have a flight.

Peace with you, Dad

MJ said...

Hi PJ
So good to hear from you and sounds like you are getting it together more and more with maps and guidance and the home touch . So nice of Lukes parents - I like them - Terra and Sanford. Now , it sounds so beautiful and how you are connecting with God's beautiful earth and loving it more . Gore is coming out with more messages a slide show and 50 people to go out and spread the word . praying , loving and spreading your messges . Hope you are checking e-mail to as people are sending you places to stay . Ruth gave you Marsha Timmels address etc . Did you get your phone charger or should we send it ??? love yu MOM

Unknown said...

PJ,
We really enjoyed hosting you at our house in Richmond a=on 9/19-9/20. We hope you are traversing Virginia's Southside as I write this -- it would be a glorious day for biking (instead writing this during lunch in a stale office building). We can't wait to hear about your progress. Please let us know the how many miles it was from Richmond to the North Carolina border -- we will donate $1 per mile to one of your designated funds (let us know which one).

Enjoy your trip!!

Sanford Hostetter (and Tera Yoder)

Unknown said...

My route was 103 miles to the NC border. Please contribute to the UNDOIT campaign at www.undoit.org

Thank you so much again for hosting! I had a great time, and you were so helpful!

PJ