Pages

Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Mennonite Family

So the guy pulling into his driveway that Wednesday night when I hadn't reached my campsite was Mennonite Steve Graber. He was more than happy to help me out, asked me more about my trip, and told me he had two kids, 5 and 6, and a wife, and had just built and moved into this house. He said he would put me up in his camper for the night, and asked me if I had eaten dinner. His wife Anita prepared some delicious leftovers and offered a warm shower. After shower and dinner, I iced my knees, and Steve and I looked at the map of Mexico for potential routes. He also showed me some footage he caught of some prancing bucks in his backyard--this was very rural Virginia, and his backyard consisted of a large clearing surrounded by forest and a pond. Steve works in construction, and Anita had to drop the kids off to school early in the morning, so both would be gone by the time I got up. So we said goodbye that night. I woke up to a cold bottle of powerade and a bowl of sausage gravy waiting for me outside the camper with a note: Hi P.J. Hope you slept well. There's plates and micro in camper if you want to heat this up. Have a Safe trip! + God Bless Steve + Anita Graber

Well, I wrote them a thank you note saying how much I appreciated them and that they strengthen my faith in the goodness of people and that they made me feel welcome in Virginia. I gave them the blog, so I hope they are following along (Steve or Anita, please post a comment if you are!)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yo bro looks like you are speeding up and covering ground...hope all is well. I like the blog its cool to track you. you should try and post a map tracker like that one man had. stay safe

Unknown said...

whops it looks like you are still signed in on m y computer ill change that...

Tommy said...

ok im good now

Unknown said...

yo T. Happy Birthday! enjoy the whole week, for that matter the whole year! crazy congrats on the soccer success!

Yeah, I am getting faster and stronger. My camera ran out of charge and waiting for the camera to arrive in the mail here in Raleigh. When it comes, I'll start shooting more pics like mad.

Got lots of signatures at this event in downtown Raleigh to decry militarization in our schools. they say there's no draft, but its an ECONOMIC DRAFT going on, where recruiters promise income and education, and anything that seems to get these poor, rural youths to sign up--and then they get dehumanized in Iraq where they're forced to kill innocent civilians, even kids. Its not right, and its not cool--time to bring the troops home now and then take care of them!