Pages

Friday, September 22, 2006

Okay, lots to share...

So...I am now in Raleigh, NC! It has been a while since I had access to the internet (Richmond, two and a half days ago). Now I will take you through the last three days since I did not actually write about my stay in Richmond.

I stayed with Sanford and Tera Hostetter, the parents of one of my brother's soccer teammates at UMary Wash. Thank you so much to the Hostetters! I could not have asked for more--a hug at the door, a large spaghetti dinner with wine right as I walked in the door, a night of "find bicycle Route 1 from Richmond to North Carolina"--an exercise in which Sanford and Tera clearly succeeded--using Sanford's outdoorsman atlas, the Virgina Bicycling Federation (VBF) website, road maps, Google Earth, and Mapquest. Some people play scrabble for family night entertainment; the Hostetter's played "Map This Bike Route" that Tuesday night. I was offered a wonderful bed, internet access, a digital camera cord, a phone charger, a large breakfast, and snacks for the road. Moreover, the Hostetters are just wonderful people to be around.

From Richmond, the Hostetter's directions out of town were impeccable, leading directly to the VBF member-recommended route. For your info, Sanford, the Heugonot Bridge leading across the James River DOES ALLOW bicycles, and has a sidewalk for runners and bikers.

After crossing the Heugonot Bridge, I turned onto Riverside Drive--a gorgeous route along the James. The wonderful weather didn't hurt, either. It was almost a continuous riverside park on the right, and envious homes on the left--novel, unique architechture in obviously prime real estate. Made me think about whether I want to commit to saving up for such a home, or whether I would prefer to live a more simple lifestyle. My current projection points to the latter; however, just witnessing these homes is sort of a vicarious experience satisfying all its own.

More later...gotta go...

No comments: