Pages

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Looking for Sponsors

Me in the lobby of the Hotel Imperial, Zocalo, Veracruz. The photographer from El Dictamen, Javier Tello Z., newspaper took this.

Today I set about to get more sponsors, specifically one who could supply me with a new digital camera. I tried Steren, but turns out my friend no longer works at that location and the boss was not around. They suggested a larger electronics retailer in the area, Cotino. I went to one outlet and asked if the boss was around, since they are the only ones who can make such decisions...He told me no, that the boss was at a different location and he told me where it was. When I eventually found it five miles away, cruising across town on my bike through city traffic, it was the administration building. The receptionist heard me out, and I showed her the two newspapers with the articles featuring my story, and she called to someone in the depths of this crystal-shaped building. After some discussion, she asked if I could wait a moment. After five minutes, the person called her back and said that the person who could make the decision was out of town and would be back in early next week. So that is my lead! Emilio, one of the Hotel Imperial owner's sons, is in town and he said that I will let his preppy college mates know about my trip and see if any of them can help out, and we might also try Corona cerveza company. I said we might be able to try Pemex, the petrol company, and he said something about how the polluting company sponsoring my trip would be ironic, and I said that it might be attractive to them so they can balance their profile a bit, reference BP that builds solar panels. Card still hasn't arrived. Still somewhat juggling plan/route options.

No comments: