Pages

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Still waiting for card; My day

Okay, still in Veracruz. My card still hasn´t come. So what did I do today? Up, stretched, did sit ups, showered, came downstairs, entered office. The hotel owner asked me if I was going to send him the email with the specifications of a new crankshaft for his bike. Really, I need him to give me the specifications so I can go out and find the correct crankshaft for his bike, and install it. He has two chainrings, but would like three to make climbing mountains easier. He is interested, too, in getting a Trek 520, which is basically designed for touring, but I´ve heard people have loved using it as a commuting bike as well. I referred him to www.kogausa.com as well so he could see the specs of my bike. His son is going to show me his (the dad´s) bike tomorrow or so, so I can see the crankshaft specifications. I did a bit of emailing and then Juan, the owner´s son, told me we would be leaving for the soccer match in twenty minutes. The Veracruz Red Sharks (Tiburones Rojos) were going to play the Guadalajara Atlas in town. A bunch of us--waiters, restaurant manager, bell-boy manager, loose-ends coordinator, owner´s son and daughter (who is in town from Mexico City)--all piled in a mini-van and headed across town to the stadium. We bought a shirt for the daughter, and the son--which he is going to give to me tomorrow as a present--everybody at the stadium should be wearing read in support of the home team, or you are liable to get bothered. The game was alright, but the opposing team, which is at or near the top of the rankings, scored on a penalty kick and beat us 1-0. We had four or five good opportunities to tie the game, but none went into the back of the net. When we got back, I think that is when I took a nap. After I woke up, I went down for something to eat, hung out with Juan and Bernardo, a lawyer originally from Papantla, but based in Districto Federal (DF/Mexico City), we had a couple beers and I had enfrijoladas (tortillas filled with cheese and covered with black bean sauce and avocado), plus spiced mixed nuts. Later, I made a phone call to a friend I met in Tlacotalpan, Pily, who studies administration in the local technical school. Then, I chatted with her online, and then checked email and now am updating my blog. It is raining outside. All is well, and it´s been a good day. I talked with Bernardo today about forging a plan with the Veracruz local government to turn off some of the lights at night on the palace (administration building) and perhaps some fraction of the lights other areas of town that may not really be benefitting anyone--this to reduce electricity consumption and hence burn less coal, reducing heat-trapping gas emissions.

No comments: