Pages

Monday, October 30, 2006


My waitress, a statue of Buddha, and I at the Chinese Happiness Restaurant in D'Iberville, MS, just north of Biloxi. This was just after enjoying an all-you-can-eat tasty buffet. I practiced my basic Chinese with her. Tonight, I am staying at the firehouse in D'Iberville. The firemen are taking a course on Haz-mats, and they put me up in the trailer. They also gave me access to the internet, which I am using right now to update this blog. Lots of activity tonight in town including a billboard on fire, a motorcycle accident, and a seventy-year man who may have overdosed on his medication. I plan to roll through Biloxi tomorrow, cruise along 90, which runs along the Gulf Coast towards New Orleans, and see much of the damage of Katrina that is still very evident.

Melanie, co-worker, and I at the Indian Head Motel in Ocean Springs, Mississippi, on the Gulf Coast near Biloxi. Melanie put me up for the night--thank you so much. Her motel is just getting up and running--stop in if you are ever in the area!

Hanging out with some folks at Mobile--folks with lots of character and lots of adventure stories, lots of knowledge of Mobile, and interest in my trip.

Me at Mobile Bay.

Cute, adorable, faithful and amazing Blue Heeler puppy. This little girl followed me from her house to my campsite over a mile away, spent the night with me, and followed me down the road all the way back to her house. I told her owner the story, left, and then she followed me another four miles down the road to the point of nearly throwing up (when I ran a 10K race across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, I threw up. Biking is way easier than running). I almost put her in my backpack and took her along for the trip, but thought better of it, and had someone at the corner store take her back home. Blue Heelers are cow dogs, similar to Australian Sheepdogs. They are smart, they heard, but unlike sheepdogs, which block the sheep or cows from the front, the blue heeler nips at the heels of the cattle, hearding it from the back.

The Broken Arrow Cafe in Uriah, AL, just South of Monroeville. The community gathering place and watering hole. All know all, and the community never forgets. Native American owners--the Creek reservation near Atmore is nearby, as well as another tribe reservation.

Tina and Chrystal make the Broken Arrow Cafe an attractive, homey community base.

George and Martha of Uriah, AL. They work at the Broken Arrow Cafe, where I stopped to put the rain cover on my saddle and ended up staying in the community overnight due to its great spirit. George and Martha have a home-made home made of antique salvaged materials and artifacts. One of their couches is made from an old horse carriage, and some of their walls are made from a log cabin 115 years old. Other antiques are integrated into their furniture and walls.

Striking sunrise one chilly morning Southwest of Montgomery. Everyday is a new beginning.

Pecan trees are prevalent throughout Southern Alabama and Mississipi. People gather them and sell them for up to $8.50/lb. Here was a Pecan processing plant in Fort Deposit, AL.

Tricia Crowley and I. Tricia was my mother away from home, preparing meals and food for the road, providing conversation and guidance with routes, and attending Mass with me at St. Bede's. She introduced me to some teaching assistants of hers at the Catholic High School where she teaches French part-time. One of those was Mary, who went to Yale, teaches English, Literature, and Religion. She is part of a two-year Masters of Education program that involves classroom teaching during the school year and three summers of classes.

Joe Crowley and I. Crowley is a Professor Emeritus of Auburn University. He currently works part-time for a half-way house in Montgomery. He was an excellent tour guide of Montgomery for me, showing me such landmarks as the Civil Rights Monument and the Dexter Baptist Church of Dr. Martin Luther King.

1 comment:

Michael James said...

what a cute dog!